Ethiopia

Ethiopia

Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Day Sixty-One

New to ONE LOONEY IDEA, read below, otherwise, jump down to the picture. 

In 2006, we began a relationship with Ethiopia that we cannot turn our backs on.  
We don’t really want to turn away, but life became undeniably more DIFFICULT after our first, and consecutive trips. Members of our family were in Ethiopia in ‘06, ’07, ’08, ’09, and ’13. In Ethiopia, the majority of people build a life with less than a dollar a day. A dollar a day does not provide basic necessities. Roughly 39% of Ethiopians live below poverty (<$1.25 USD)—that is over 28 million people. The population of Canada is just over 35 million. 
The world is not equitable. 

***
We all have challenges. At this point in my life I am living with abundance. It doesn’t feel good to continue to accrue treasures when so many live with scarcity. I want to choose something different.
From January 15th, 2015 – January 14th, 2016, I am going to spend ONLY a dollar a day (average) for discretionary items.
I will put one loonie into my purse each day. Every time that I want to make a purchase, I will stop and think. I am becoming a thoughtful and responsible consumer, one day at a time—for a lifetime.
You can support me by pledging a dollar a day for any part of my 365 day challenge. The money will go to Canadian Humanitarian, who we have worked with extensively over the past nine years. —Just check out my Pledge Page on the left side bar. 
Betam amisegnalo. 

***
Here I am seven years old, with my brother Troy. CHECK out my socks--such a fashionista!

Celebrations

This week was Laurèn’s 13th birthday—made more special because it fell on (Friday) the 13th, and therefore was her “golden” birthday. In our family we celebrate birthdays with a family supper, cake and presents every year, and kids also have a home-grown birthday party up until they are 13. Birthday parties have become bigger as the children have grown. This weekend was no exception! 




Everyone has a birthday. But not everyone knows when their birthday is. I know this seems strange to many people, because when Ward or I say that we don’t know exactly when our children Yohannes and Faven were born, we get dumbfounded stares, and mutterings, like, “How could you not know?”
It’s simple.
Birthdays are not officially recorded in poorer countries that are highly populated.
Children are not born in hospitals; there is no record.
Mothers, in rural Ethiopia remember their children’s births by seasons, or events, but they don’t celebrate each passing year.  Certain milestones are celebrated. For example, in some parts of Ethiopia, when a girl gets her period she is considered ready for marriage. And a boy over twelve, is considered self-supporting and ready to care for himself. Therefore, throughout Ethiopia this is the time that teenagers drop out of school.
Through child sponsorship programs, students are encouraged and supported to go to school for as long as possible. Many of the children in the initial intake of the Kids Hope Program in Guelele  (2004) are now in the Canadian Humanitarian Scholarship Program, whereby they attend university, college, technical, trade or vocational schools. Through the Program, the student has tuition and books paid for, and gets a monthly stipend for living expenses. Once they graduate and are employed, the student agrees to re-pay 25% of the funds, over a period of time, to assist future students. 
I am pleased to see more Canadian children choosing to make financial donations to charities rather than accept birthday gifts, particularly when our children want for so little. But, I still think that the day of birth is special, and choosing to celebrate it, helps me to pay attention to the young people we are raising. I find their birthday parties completely exhausting, however, I also experience great joy seeing them in their element.
***

On Laurèn's birthday we went out to a friend's ranch in Springbank. It was 15 degrees. I love to watch her with the herd.  





No comments:

Post a Comment