Ethiopia

Ethiopia

Wednesday, December 23, 2015

22 - Mrs. Dobler


When Laurèn turned three, I started thinking about pre-school. Looking back, I have no idea why I thought that was a good idea, given Laurèn’s slow approach to new situations (Read: shy), cautious engagement with new people (Read: glued to my side), and her difficulty separating from me. I suspect I wanted some time to myself: two hours, twice a week, sounded like an all-inclusive holiday! Moreover, Laurèn, being raised like a lone child, despite her two (part-time) teenage siblings, needed to learn about sharing, lining up, waiting your turn, and doing something that other people wanted. Laurèn may have been shy, but she directed play at home as if she were the director on the set. She not only told us where to sit/stand/jump/dance/lie, she also told us all of our “lines”. She exhibited strong leadership skills (Read: bossy). 
I registered her for pre-school at our community centre. 
On the “parent orientation” night, I met Laurèn’s teacher. Lovely. Nice sounding voice. Caring. And able to make a room full of grown ups cry. She read, “Love You Forever”, by Robert Munsch. She sang the “chorus” to us: 
I’ll love you forever,
I’ll like you for always,
As long as I’m living
my baby you’ll be. 
On the first day of pre-school, Laurèn was excited, right up until the minute that we arrived. I lifted her out of the car; she tried to wiggle away. “It’s going to be fun,” I said—not quite believing it. We made it inside the building. I tried to put her down; she climbed up me like a tree. “Look at all the kids,” I said. She buried her face in my shoulder. 
The pre-school classroom door opened. The teacher, Mrs. Dobler, came out carrying a small chair, and a secret pouch. “Hello everybody”, she said, with a Julia Roberts smile. Everyone stopped what they were doing. She sat down on the child-sized chair. “Who would like to come and see what I have in my bag?” The extroverts leaped forward. “Okay,” she said, and waved to one child to come over. The rest of the children couldn’t help but be entranced by the interaction she had with that one child, and the mystery that awaited in the little bag. She asked the child his/her name. She told them to put their hand in the bag, and feel around. She told them to whisper to her what they thought was in the bag. One after the other, the children did this, and then went into the classroom where the teaching assistant awaited. Heck, I wanted to line up and play that game. 
Fewer and fewer kids stood in the hallway. The shorter the line up got, the farther Laurèn went from the doorway. Eventually, she watched from an alcove across the hallway. When there were only two children left, Mrs. Dobler came over to Laurèn. She took her by the hand, and led her over to the little chair. To my surprise, she went. I stood watching, with tears in my eyes. They spoke to each other so softly that I could not hear. Laurèn reached into the bag and moved her hand around. “What do you think it is?” Mrs. Dobler asked, with a curiosity that belied her already knowing. Laurèn leaned close to her new teacher, and whispered something into her ear. “Yes! You got it.” Laurèn walked into the classroom without a backward glance. 


Not every single day went so well for Laurèn (or I), but Mrs. Dobler attended to every single child, every single day with purpose and delight. She found common ground to connect to each and every one of them. 

Yup...she wore pajamas to school. Her orangutan (named Olive?) helped her every day, and often wanted to eat the children's snacks. The kids loved her.
Creative ways to teach the letters of the alphabet. 
Skiing at COP
Look WHO is rocking down while the 3-year-old watch and copy, at the Seniors home in Edgemont. 

Not every day at pre-school was good. 


The preschool class at the zoo, where Mrs. Dobler volunteered. 
They grew caterpillars, which seemed to me to symbolize the "transformation" that occurred through the year, beautifully. 

Mrs. Dobler, Michelle, now a friend, inspires me every time I see her, and read her Facebook posts. It is hard not to feel good in her presence. She remains attentive to individuals. I admire and enjoy her smile, the funny animal videos, her own SOY challenges, her obvious love of her family, her bravery (she got a tattoo), and taking on IRONMAN—an arduous physical, mental, and emotional challenge that starts long before, and lasts far longer than the 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, and 26.2 mile run. You rock Michelle!

Laurèn is now a thirteen-year-old who is no longer slow-to-approach. In fact, most days I can no longer even see the three-year-old that she used to be. Many things have contributed to her growth, not the least of which was an amazing introduction to school. Thank you Mrs. Dobler—you made my days so much easier during pre-school, and I have thoroughly enjoyed the opportunity to get to know you, as we both close out our fourth decades. :)







No comments:

Post a Comment