Ethiopia

Ethiopia

Thursday, November 5, 2015

One Loonie Idea - Unplugged



I am done. 

When I began One Loonie Idea on January 15th, it was because I wanted to mark my last year in the fifth decade of my life with something. I imagined myself as an agent of change. 
The changes that have occurred over these eight or nine months, are not the same ones that I envisioned going in. I wanted to be a catalyst for something magnificent. Dont’ we all. 

I love the quote by Roosevelt above. He also says that “with self discipline most anything is possible”. So, am I to assume that I have failed in this goal because I did not have self discipline? Yes. 

Of course, there is more. 

Thank you for supporting me along this journey. It has been eye-opening. My biggest support came from Yohannes. He encouraged me along the way. He checked in with me to see how many loonies I had left. He challenged me if he saw a Starbucks cup in the van. But most of all, he gave me the quiet feeling that no matter how it was going, it was okay. Super amazing kid!

Yohannes, and me in our kitchen in Ethiopia. 2006

“Often, if there's something that I want to do, but somehow can't get myself to do, it's because I don't have clarity. This lack of clarity often arises from a feeling of ambivalence - I want to do something, but I don't want to do it; or I want one thing, but I also want something else that conflicts with it.”
Gretchen Rubin


1 comment: